Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lilac Wine

I hate being sick. It feels like the life has just been sucked out of me, and I've been left as a useless being at home. I don't like missing school or rehearsal or everything else I was planning on doing today. It's just flat out awful.

Bruce Springsteen's new album Working On a Dream is surprisingly good. When he announced the corny titled and played the eponymous song at an Obama rally--I was a little worried. But all of a sudden, Bruce has gone back to his glory days. The record is very reminiscent of Born to Run, my second favorite Springsteen album. It has a lot of very different, odd instruments--new recording strategies, and some very powerful vocals. The final track, "The Last Carnival," pays homage to the late Dan Federici, who played accordion and organ for the E Street Band for as long as I can remember.

Last night, I was lost in a haze of sickness and lack of sleep. Luckily, Mr. D had just given me back my copy of the Legacy Edition of Grace by Jeff Buckley. I spent the next hour or so completely engulfed in an album that I've listened to so many times. The thing I love about music is how each listener can take something completely different. One of my favorite quotes is from Jeff Buckley himself, when asked what he wanted people to take away from his music...

"Whatever they want."

No comments: