Sunday, January 25, 2009

Shelter From the Storm

Gift giving is so touchy. I feel as if most people have simply given up on trying to express their feelings for someone else through something as simple as a gift. Understandably, I'm not the last person on the planet to really search for the perfect present--but things are getting out of hand. I've always considered my selections to be personal and thoughtful, but the world is starting to turn the other cheek.

At a store next to where I work, there is a sign on the door that announces "Stop spending time looking for the perfect gift--buy a gift card!" How boring. How ridiculous. Everything about giving gifts that I love is slowly being stripped away by corporations and managers begging for gift card sales. Even my own store was pushing those drab pieces of plastic to every other customer.

Admittedly, I almost always end up buying somebody an album--but that album will not just be whatever happens to be popular at the time. It will be a piece of art that I know will affect them as an individual and that I know they will listen to over and over again.

Just yesterday, at a birthday party I was invited to, the recipient received three gift cards and one unwrapped ten dollar bill. Meanwhile, I gave her a copy of The '59 Sound. Granted, I did get some glares at work for buying the album for the third time--but what can I do? Everyone loves it.

Are people just getting lazy--or am I just trying too hard?

1 comment:

Elle said...

We already talked about the travesty that is gift cards, but seriously it's out of hand. Gift cards are convenient, but not thoughtful. Gifts are supposed to show you care and you know the person, not that you're lazy and you couldn't care less what they get. Ughhh, frustration.