Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Friction

I can't wait to perform that song I wrote about a certain someone's poetry. Maybe that will knock some sense into her.

Once we're out of high school, everything will change. The petty differences and arguments will have washed away--and we'll be faced with the true relationships between every single one of us. I truly look forward to that moment.

My musical retrospective is almost done. I picked five albums that meant a lot to me for each year dating back to 2004. After graduation, I'll be sitting down and going through one year in an entire day. I'm expecting some intense emotions simply from the memories alone. Hopefully the list will be polished enough to be posted--but I would encourage everybody else to go through the same process.

Hearing "Like Vines" by The Hush Sound will instantly bring back vivid memories of Emma and Lanly. Performing with them onstage was a highlight of Sophomore year. Junior year has the privilege of containing "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. That album--more than any other--helped me through a time where I was completely lost. As a matter of fact, Junior year my be the most intense. Here are the albums for Junior year alone:

"Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd
"Grace" - Jeff Buckley
"In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" - Neutral Milk Hotel
"Pink Moon" - Nick Drake
"Down the River of Golden Dreams" - Okkervil River

That will be an amazing lineup to sit through--but I'm actually quite scared about what it will force me to remember.

I'll leave you with the quote my parents used for my senior ad in the yearbook...

“Take care of all your memories. For you cannot relive them.”
-Bob Dylan

That quote inspires me every day--and it is that sense of rememberance that I'm hoping to receive from my backwards musical journey.

No comments: